About Me

My photo
Way back in time before the onset of adulthood I enjoyed countless days heading into the hills of Yorkshire with nothing more than a squashed sandwich & youthful sense for adventure! Despite long past youthful and work commitments keeping me in the city, the sense of adventure and love for the outdoors never left me. After digging my boots out and returning to the hills I attended a number of courses to improve my hill knowledge and skill base, during one of these courses it was suggested I join the Mountain Leader Training scheme and was delighted go on to gain the MOUNTAIN LEADER Award in April 2012. As well as spending time on the hills and mountains of the UK I have also enjoyed trips to the Nepalese Himalaya, Swiss & French Alps, Mallorca’s Tramuntana, Andorran & French Pyrenees, Morocco’s High Atlas, Tanzania’s Mt Meru & Kilimanjaro, Argentinian & Chilean Patagonia and winter expeditions to Norway’s Hardangervidda. Since gaining the ML I have also gained the SINGLE PITCH AWARD, INTERNATIONAL MOUNTAIN LEADER AWARD and the WINTER MOUNTAIN LEADER AWARD. I am now enjoying working in a freelance role whilst trying to get out climbing as much as possible.
Powered By Blogger

Friday 19 February 2016

Scottish Finale!

 Wednesday this week was the final day of my trip North of the Great Glen and should be the final days out with the purpose of gathering Quality Mountain Days and finally gaining the Winter Mountain Leader award.
 After a night of howling winds and some of my clothes still slightly damp from Tuesday's battle up Fionn Bhienn I set out for a day up and around Moruisg, this would give me a Munro and enable me to hide from some of the winds that were forecast.
 I left the car park at Craig and followed the track through the forest in falling snow right down to valley floor.
Snow down to Glen floor
Walking with a bit of a stride on as I knew I had a 8hr drive back home after the route I made good pace as I followed the track South and then East.
Look closely!
 I had chosen to make my way up the hill from the South using the shelter of the Glen as cover from the gusting wind and making use of less steep ground.
 The weather was holding and looking good until I gained height when low cloud descended, snow began to fall and the wind began to gust - changeably Scottish.
Thats more like a Scottish view!
Not even close to white out, just Scottish.
 After navigating to the summit I decided on a route that would take me back into Coire Toll Nam Bian then allow me to drop down and make a couple of smaller stream/burn crossings rather than bigger river crossings lower down, Scottish mountain water tends to be a tad on the chilly side!


As made my way onto lower ground I had the option of joining the road and walking a couple of kilometres back to the car but I opted to go through the forest track, which turned into a bit of s big and branch thrash but still better than Tarmac.
Moon & mountain.
 Summary - overall a good enjoyable day that was probably more enjoyable through the changeable weather and low vision meaning I could practice my navigation and compass skills.
The route took me approximately 8hrs which was because of the slow going at low level and through the forest.
 The main draw back of the day was knowing I had a 7.5hr drive home afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment